Do houses sell better furnished or unfurnished?
You’re selling your home, getting ready to enter the property market and trying to be as well-researched and prepared as possible. One question looms over you: do houses sell better furnished or unfurnished?
It’s a highly debated topic in the real estate industry. While some people argue for the blank slate appeal of empty houses, others passionately advocate for the profitability of furnished homes. It’s only natural that you could get confused, so to clear things up, we’ve listed the pros and cons to answer the question once and for all.
Pros of selling a furnished house
- Furnished homes fire up the imagination of potential buyers with inviting furniture and aspirational styling.
- You can showcase how the home might be used – and enjoyed.
- Beautiful styling often increases the home’s perceived value and attract higher offers.
Cons of selling a furnished house
- If you’re in a rush to sell, moving furniture in and out can be a hassle.
- Dated and unattractive furniture is a turn-off (if you haven’t hired a property stylist!).
- And, if you buy new furniture, it can be really expensive.
Pros of selling an unfurnished house
- You don’t have to pay for new furniture, accessories and styling.
- Imaginative, creative homebuyers can use the blank canvas to visualise their own styling.
Cons of selling an unfurnished house
- Contrary to popular belief, unfurnished rooms can appear smaller because they lack scale.
- There is nowhere for flaws to hide. You’ll see every dent and scratch!
- Many buyers will struggle to visualise living in an empty house.
If you ask us, the pros of selling a furnished house far outweigh the cons. At BOWERBIRD Interiors, the properties we’ve styled to sell have achieved a 95% return on investment success rate. With a combination of styling techniques and local market knowledge, property stylists know how to create homes that sell faster for higher returns.
The great thing about property styling is it takes care of the drawbacks of furnishing your home for sale. You don’t have to sell out for brand new furniture – our stylists have access to a warehouse packed with the latest styles, so you only have to pay for the hire, styling and removals (all inclusive!). Each package is bespoke, and often expensive than you expect, especially for the higher offers you’ll attract.
We know it’s still a big choice to make – especially in a time that can be financially stressful. That’s why we’ve got something that can help. For a small premium fee, BOWERBIRD BLACK allows you to pay later for your property styling. Approved applicants can get up to $25,000 funding towards property styling, cosmetic renovation and marketing. With no upfront payments and no repayments, you’ll only have to pay at settlement or 107 days, so you’re never out of pocket.
Want to know more? You can book a free consultation with our expert property stylists today! Simply call us on 02 9531 2233 or fill in your details on the contact form, and we’ll be in touch.