How to do a weekend home makeover
Confession: we’re a bit obsessed with home makeover shows. Give us a glass of wine and the latest episode of The Block any night!
The fact these houses are turned around in record time just makes it even more exhilarating to watch. We can definitely relate – BOWERBIRD stylists transform properties into dream homes in just hours! In the spirit of the home makeover, we’ve compiled some of our favourite affordable DIY ideas that anyone can do.
- Create a feature wall with a rich coat of paint or textured wallpaper. This adds interest to the room without making it too busy.
- Hang a statement mirror. While mirrors are often relegated to the bedroom and bathroom, they also instantly brighten and open up your living area.
- Storage doesn’t always have to be hidden away. For a very cosmopolitan touch, repurpose a drinks trolley to show off your plants, books and other knick-knacks.
- Update old dining chairs with a new fabric. All you need is a staple gun and a fabric that matches your room (why not a modern monochrome print?).
- It’s always a good idea to change your lights every so often, but consider swapping out the fittings, too. We’re currently loving structural and industrial-inspired designs.
- When in doubt, a house plant adds life to any room. Low maintenance succulents, philodendrons and snake plants make stunning centrepieces.
- Use S hooks to hang your utensils (much more practical than an overstuffed drawer). You might want to update your kitchenware while you’re at it!
- Fill canisters or mason jars with regular ingredients, such as flour, sugar and pasta. You can create your own labels with chalkboard paint and a chalk pen.
- Still got that chalkboard paint handy? Paint the inside of your cupboard to make it an instant shopping list!
- Make your bed like a five-star hotel. Use freshly laundered and ironed bedding, and – here’s the trick – sandwich a blanket between two layers of sheets. So comfy!
- Ditch your dowdy lampshade for a minimalist look that will make your bedside table ten times cooler.
- Slide rattan baskets under your bed for an easy but stylish storage solution.
- Luxe it up with gold, brass or copper tapware. A good-quality metallic paint will give the same effect in a pinch.
- Replace old grout with fresh new grout (choose a similar colour for a seamless look or a contrasting one to draw attention to the tile design).
- Declutter your toiletries – throw away what you don’t need and put the rest in a chic straw basket.
- Paint the front door with a bright pop of colour – your house will definitely stand out on the street!
- Add storage baskets, floating shelves and wall hooks to give a home to shoes, bags and coats.
- Hang a statement piece of art (or a beautiful mirror) for a lasting first impression.